Friday, March 26, 2010

Chennai...I Miss you!

Dear reader,It has been more than year since I moved out of singara chennai.
I have listed below some of the features of chennai that I have been missing for the past few months.

1) The @home feeling.
2) The pace of the day in sync with my body clock.
3) Saravan Bhavan tasty dosa and filter coffee.
4) No neccessity to travel in electric train,get pushed in the crowd,
get polluted running day-in and day-out.
5) The freedom to walk in the roads without having to worry if someone will spit pan parak on me.
6) Air pollution,Vehicular pollution,Noise pollution all at tolerable levels.
Atleast,Iam less susceptible to chronic respiratory illness.
7) Marina beach and the beautiful road by its side.
8) Space. Man...I do find space...space to stand and I realise that human heads is not omni present.
9) People to chit-chat on entertainment stuffs specific to chennai like kollywood, airtel super singer,newly inaugurated bridges,latest fashion trends in silk sarees,the banner ads across the city.
10)Egmore station,Radio Mirchi,Mylapore kabaleeshwar temple,the sights and sounds of the city.
11)For reasonable living in chennai I need to be neither a King nor a pauper.
12)Lottery free platform shops.
13)Traffic signals free from eunuchs.
14)Chennai Tamizh of course.

Disclaimer:All facts listed above are based on the location advantage/disadvantage factors between chennai and Mumbai.Any references or remark for or against these cities is purely factual.

Note:Forbes magazine has listed Mumbai as the 7th dirtiest city in the world.Though I dont have anything severe against Mumbai,My dear Mumbai fans...you guys told that anyone will start liking the city after a few months of stay here.Well...Iam not impressed with Aamchi Mumbai in this one+ year.Let me see if something gets better this year.

11 comments:

Aravindh said...

I lived in Chennai right from my birth to 21 years and i loved it.... once am out of it for past 8 years, i never wanted to get back to Chennai and the reason is the intolerable humidity... For me, Bangalore is best place to live in India.... :) Again no offence to any cities...

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Thanks Jayashree for stopping by my blog. Tell me this, if it has to be Madurai or Chennai, which one is your choice? :)

Jayashree said...

@Saranya : In that case it will be Madurai any day :) But Chennai is special to me for other reasons too...And Madurai not being a metropolitan,Iam not comparing it with Mumbai.

Saranya Arunprakash said...

I guessed so :). Arun keeps talking about Thirunagar all the time :)

Srinath said...

Nicely put frustrations of a hardcore Chennai fan against Mumbai :-) Here's a few reasons not to miss Chennai - topping the list would be - Hopeless Auto-rickshaw guys, Pathetic weather and a majority male-chauvinistic pseudo-conservative society.

Jayashree said...

@ Srinath Sir,

Autorickshaw - Chennai's Auto system is under the influence of politicians.As more than half of them are owned by political party men.Again this system needs reforms considering public affordability.

Again should I not miss Chennai for this?...Mmmm well,this reason is not strong enough for me.

Pathetic Weather - Chennai IS hot.Still it is enjoyable with home made neer-mor,ilaneer and other supplemets.again not strong enough reason for me.

Majority male-chauvinistic pseudo-
conservative society - Well,male-chauvinistic people are present everywhere.Chennai is not an exception.

Pesudo-conservativeness-Well,this might be true.But I cannot relate myself to it.

Naveenan Ramachandran said...

Srinath - I totally agree with every point that you sited.

Preethi said...

Hey - first time on your blog. I am also a woman from Madurai & Chennai and I have moved to Bombay 2 weeks ago. I can relate to everything you say:) Hope I get to like Mumbai better over the next few months. Keep writing.

Jayashree said...

Welcome Preethi! Happy reading :)

Anand Moraes said...

Seeing, in you, one good writer/ narrator.. Great going..

Jayashree said...

Thanks Anand!